Thursday, January 22, 2009

Something New

So, to any of the 3 people who knew of the existence of this blog site, and may actually still be checking to see if there are any new posts after all of these many months, I'll be heading in a new direction. Instead of posting countless picture of my sweet sweet sweet little lamb, I'll be making notes on the 30 day health challenge designed by Miss Kris Lantheaume. We'll be pushing our will power to the limits for 30 days following a list of healthy lifestyle changes. My list is as follows:
No booze
No fried foods
No red meat
No sweets
3 veg servings a day
1 hour of exercise a day
15 minutes meditation a day
Kris also has included no caffeine, but I have decided...I don't like that. So I will limit myself to 1 cup a day.
And to make up for that, I'll add 2 fruit servings a day, which is actually something I will have to make an effort to do. I don't dislike fruit, I just don't eat it. I don't know why.

So today was day 1 for me. Yesterday was Ken's birthday, and he was gifted a strange and lovely piece. It's a fortune-telling M&M dispenser. So this morning when I got up at 6:30 and shuffled out into the kitchen, I grabbed a couple of stray M&M's resting in the bowl of this toy and popped them in my mouth. Crap! After that I got serious.
I realized I eat a lot more veggies than I thought I did. That part is pretty easy, but it's 9 pm. and I've yet to have a bite of fruit today. I'll go get a glass of oj and call it good for the day.
The hour of exercise was hard today as well. By the time I finished all of the crap I had to do today, I had limited time between finishing lunch and having to leave for work. I had 2 hours to work with and much to do, but I decided to go for a walk in the neighborhood. Now, the walk was only 30 minutes, but the time it took to get ready to go? 30 minutes. Today, that counts. Trying to get both Fred and myself dressed with the dog bobbing and weaving under my feet the whole time has certainly grown tiresome and there is so much winter left. Also, putting a mitten on the hand of a 1 year old...well, that is a challenge in and of itself. Fred's hand may as well be a cooked spaghetti noodle, or a pipe cleaner. Well, so, I finally got all of our shit together and we went for a walk. It was awesome out, the sun felt great and I was really happy I went. Yay! Here's a picture of Fred and Celia ready to go...

What else? Meditating was hard. The only quiet time I had today was 1/2 hour after Fred went to bed and Ken got home from work. So head was spinning with thoughts of work and what am I going to make Fred for lunch tomorrow and wishing I could breathe through my nose and wondering what ever happened to an old school mate of mine and trying to guess the balance in my checkbook and on and on. It was nice to lay down though. And it was very quiet.
I guess that's all. I'm excited about this. Thanks Kris!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! This is good stuff, Kate... I struggled with the beer thing tonight as well. So thirsty.

Kris