I admit, I've never been a big fan of the shower. I dislike getting undressed, being wet, drying off and having to pick out new clothes again. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I'm always cold, and so the whole process is uninviting to me, a hurried race to get dressed and start warming back up. Wet hair is also very unappealing to me. I think I still look cleaned up and fresh, but who knows what I really look like to others. I may walk away from people feeling good about myself only to have them whisper after I leave, 'Didn't she wear that yesterday?...and the day before that?' Oh well, fortunately high school is over, and for the most part, I don't give a shit what people say anymore, regarding my clothes anyway.
Getting to know Fred however has changed my tune about showers. Not because I feel he makes me so filthy I need to bathe, but because it is a few moments of quiet, just for me and I know Ken would never begrudge me a shower. Of course it's not as easy as it seems, I have to create the perfect moment, and that takes time. I guess all I really have to do is feed Fred, but it has to be a hearty feed, and this can sometimes take an hour or more. I do usually forewarn Ken the shower will be happening sometime in the evening so he can plan for time to just sit and let Fred suck on his finger. I don't know if it's just because Fred is only 2 weeks old and all newborns are like this, or if he has already developed an oral fixation, or like Ken has suggested, just really like to be close to boobs, but he definitely prefers to be sucking on something, and Ken's finger will suffice for a brief time. Once I get in the shower, I really can forget about my other responsibilities for a few calm minutes. The hot water soothes my sore neck and back, and I can't hear anything except the splash of water in the tub. The aches and pains are yet another thing I wasn't prepared for. During pregnancy, I was advised to get massages and go to the chiropractor and really take care of myself, but what about now? I sleep curled up in a weird twist so I don't run the risk of waking Fred after he nurses and dozes off to sleep. And carrying around a little 9lb baby is another challenge when you're a big grown person. My arms and head are most often slumped down around him so he won't fling himself out of my arms. In the shower, I can stretch my neck up high and the water feels sooo good! On my back and shoulders too! If when I get out I hear Fred crying, I still try to put on some lotion, deal with my hair, and put on fresh clothes, complete the activity without getting stressed. I'm sure in time I'll want more quiet moments for myself here and there, but if I can have this luxury every other day, I feel pretty good about things. Planning and looking forward to a shower?....who'da thunk it?
Sunday, January 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm with you on this one! These days I tend to drag the "I'll be five minutes" shower to at least 10 or 15. I'm sure D now just rolls his eyes (to himself of course less there be hell to pay)when I say I'm going to need a "couple" minutes.
Post a Comment